Friday, December 18, 2009

Ivan Babikov: Thoughts On the Early World Cups


Salomon Nordic caught up with Ivan Babikov in Canmore, Alberta following his return from the Davos World Cup, where he finished 26th - still ill from a cough/cold that crept up on him a few days before the race. Here are his thoughts and feelings on the early World Cup season...

We heard you got sick a few days before the Davos World Cup…Can you describe your feeling and what you did to prepare?
When I realize that I was getting sick, I got very upset. I was feeling very good a few days before and was looking forward to start the Davos World Cup. Then I just stayed in the hotel room and tried recover as soon as possible.

Did you think of skipping the race? Or were you always planning on racing regardless of being sick?
There was a day (two days before the start) when I felt very bad and was thinking that there was no way I would be able to start, but next day (after a good night's sleep) I felt a little bit better and I wanted to start no matter what.

What kind of training did you do while you were sick?
I was locked in my room with a lot of chocolate, a kettle of tea and a jar of honey!

How did you feel during the race?
I didn't feel great...I just felt like couldn't push hard enough.

I heard you had some fast skis…How did you compare to others around you?
I had THE fastest skis that day, rockets. I'm super happy with my skis this season so far. Just amazing how much Salomon improved since last year.

Are you happy with first part of WC season?
Not 100%, sometimes I wasn't ready, sometimes just bad luck, but hopefully the rest of the season will be better for me.

What is the focus now that you are back in Canada ?
I'll try to keep my shape up, do some little tune up before Tour de ski, and of course spend my first Christmas with family in like 7 years. :)



Good luck Ivan and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment